West of Camp 4 at Leroux Island the explorers followed the Little Colorado River to the northwest. For a couple of days they noticed a pointed peak ahead of them in the distance. Their camp #7 was just west of this peak.
A portion of Sitgreaves’ journal entry for September 7, 1851:
“The surrounding scenery resembled that of the northwestern prairies, the country being bare of trees and the horizon unbroken, except in one direction, where a high, conical peak, that had served us several days as a landmark, varied the uniformity of its outline”.